Funding entity Fundación Iberdrola España
This project will investigate the application of solid-state transformers (SST) in the future electric power systems with a large penetration of generation based on power electronics. The project will:
(1) Develop a detailed model of a SST in SIMULINK+SimPowerSys in order to study the behaviour of all its elements in detail (electronic converters and high-frequency transformer).
(2) Develop a simplified model for the average variables of the converter (no switching) in order to represent those aspects of interest in a system-wide analysis.
(3) Build a software tool to carry out small-signal analysis of electrical grids with electronic power converters. This tool will deal with many types of distributed generators with contribution of electronic converters and with the SST model developed previously.
(4) Study various control possibilities for a SST in a power system with a large penetration of electronic generation.
(5) Study the design of stabilisers for power converters in a power system with a large penetration of electronic generation. The study will consider local and global measurements.
The study must be applicable to a medium-size grid, avoiding micro-grids explicitly.